An individual who is current permanent resident of Australia and meet the eligibility requirements given, than he might be able to apply for a citizenship by conferral. This means that this particular person is to be conferred or given the citizenship. It is important that the person applying knows the type and the ways on how to apply for Australian citizenship.
One needs to obtain three types of documents in order to apply for citizenship. These are as follow:
- Identity documents showing the photograph and signature; present residential address; and the birth name, date of birth and gender
- Character document containing the evidence that the applicant stayed or travelled outside Australia since the age of 18 years; and the total time spent overseas is added to 12 months or more
- Supporting documents such as evidence of exemptions, discretions and concessions; evidence of the requirement for special residence; evidence of residence for both British and New Zealand migrants; and documents related to children who are included in the application
An individual can become a citizen once certain requirements are met. Typically, one can apply for the citizenship if:
- is a permanent resident at a time of application and at the time of decision
- meets the residence requirements
- is of good character
- has a basic knowledge of English language
- intends to reside or maintain a close and continued connection with Australia
- has a sufficient knowledge of privileges and responsibilities of citizenship in Australia
- An applicant who is 60 years old and above is not required to take the citizenship test.
The Australian citizenship lets you live in Australia permanently. However, certain requirements are needed along with the fees to qualify to become Australian citizen.
There are special days and events recognized in Australia, and affirmation and citizenship ceremonies are frequently held as part of coming together as one nation to honor the great things of Australia and how great it is to be an Australian.
The celebrations a citizen can enjoy include:
- Australia’s Local Hero Award
- Australia Day
- Australia Citizens Day, and
- Other citizenship celebrations
Aside from the Australian citizenship eligibility mentioned, there are other things to consider for the application to be processed. Generally, one can apply if he is a migrant with permanent residence.
The general residence requirements are as follow:
- he must have lived in Australia holding a valid Australian visa for four years immediately prior to application
- must have been a permanent resident for 12 months immediately prior to application and not have been absent from this country for more than one year in all, during the four-year period including not over 90 days in the 12 months prior to application
Under some conditions, he must be qualified for the application for a discrepancy to the residence requirement, or be qualified under the requirement for special residence.
Share this information with your friends:
How We Can Help You?
There are several steps in the Australian Citizenship application process. The first is to ensure that you are eligible to apply and have lived in Australia for at least 12 months as a permanent resident. Our team of professional agents at Adelaide Migration Agent is highly qualified and understand every aspect and depth of Australian visa procedure. They first evaluate your case and then help you lodge the citizenship application with complete paper work. We have helped numerous individuals in securing Australian citizenship and help them settle down in their dream country smoothly. Apart from getting visa for transition to your dream country we also help with visa refusals.
We understand how troublesome and distressing it is to face visa refusal. While in this situation you will be required to answer the points raised by visa refusal case officer, for which we have experts in the field who have efficiently dealt with such cases and deal every case efficiently. We help you prepare proper applications to present a strong case to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and have best chances of positive outcome. We will submit a valid application for you, addressing all the Australian citizenship requirements, criteria and legislation.
Get in touch with us if you need professional guidance and help with your visa application or visa refusal. We will identify your citizenship or migration requirements and then provide you the best solution as per your requirements and condition.
How much will it cost to apply for the Australian citizenship?
The application fee must be included along with the application. The corresponding fee for this is AUD 285, unless the applicant is qualified for a concession.
Do all applicants need to appear for the citizenship test?
No not all. A person does not need to sit the test if he is:
- aged under 18
- 60 years old and above
- suffering from any substantial illness or loss of sight, speech or hearing
- able to show the specialist a medical proof of a permanent or enduring physical mental capacity, which means, he cannot understand the nature of his application, demonstrate a basic English knowledge, and demonstrate an adequate knowledge about Australia, as well as the privileges and responsibilities of citizenship
- is born to a former citizen of Australia
- is born in Papua before September 16, 1975, to a citizen of Australia who is born in the said country as presently defined
- is stateless and is born in Australia
When one is travelling outside Australia, can he still apply for the citizenship?
Yes, one can still obtain the citizenship but, in most conditions, application is not approvable when the applicant is outside Australia. If there is a need to travel abroad while the application is in process, it is important to contact the migration agency. Before leaving, the person needs to be sure he has a valid passport, as well as a Resident Return Visa.