Just imagine a scenario, you still have one semester left but your student visa expires. Unwanted embarrassment, isn’t it? To continue with your studies, you will definitely need a visa extension. In Australia, most of the students hold a student visa subclass 500. Expiration of visa is more or less a rare case because, at the time of application, it is highly recommended that you will maintain rules to keep your visa valid throughout your whole study duration. Still, an exception occurs.
But remember, you can apply for a new visa only if your current visa is not subject to the ‘no further stay’ qualification.
Also Read: List Of Document Checklist Needed For Student Visa Extension!
Why Does Student Visa Generally Expire?
Your subclass 500 student visa may expire for a number of reasons.
- Deferment of course: delayed commencement of your semester is what is termed as ‘deferment of course’, that may lead to expiration of your visa.
- Reduced course load: You’re an international student and you will be expected to complete full course load of each of the semesters. Failure to meet this requirement can lead to your visa getting expired.
- Failed subjects: Failure in a particular subject is also a major reason of your visa expiry.
- Extended research application period: Research application is generally a lengthier process which includes preparation of research proposal, discussions with the research supervisor and a load of formalities. This over consumption of time can be a cause of visa expiration.
- Enrolling in a new course: If you get enrolled in a new course, your visa may expire.
What Is Actually Meant By Student Visa Extension?
Well, you cannot actually extend your visa, i.e. you cannot extend the validity of your existing student visa 500. What you basically need to do to continue with your studies is to go through the whole visa application process again to get a new student visa. You should apply for it at least 3-4 months prior to the expiry of your current visa, or you may have to face an unnecessary last-minute rush.
If you apply while you’re inside Australia, a bridging visa A will be granted to you with the help of which, you can reside in the country while the application is under process. And if you apply from outside Australia, you will have to wait until your visa subclass 500 gets approved.
You Might Like: Stress Free Guide About The Working Rights On Student Visa
What Are The Eligibility Requirements For The Application Of Visa Extension?
For the application for a student visa extension, you will need to show a number of documents which are as follows.
- Identity Proofs: Identity is the prerequisite for any application. For a visa extension, you need to show your identity documents again, just as you showed them in the case of the first student visa Adelaide. The identity documents will include a bio-data page of your passport, a national identity card as proof of your citizenship, the birth certificate as proof of your age, and a household registration logbook as proof of your residence address.
- Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE): Planning to change your university or city in Australia? You may also include a second field of aptitude in your resume, and then you will need to study a second undergraduate degree. If you want to choose a different field of study, you can take a short course. But you must make sure that the short course is CRICOS-registered. In Australia, if you get enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program then you will need to study for another year to complete a research project. So, at first, you should extend and choose the appropriate university and degree for you and get the confirmation of enrolment. For extension of visa, you will need a new CoE.
- Curriculum Vitae: A curriculum vitae or CV will be needed for your application for visa extension, as it states all the necessary details of your qualifications and experience. The CV should be certified by the local authority.
- English Language Requirements: For visa extension application, you again need to show your English language requirements. There are a number of English language tests conducted like IELTS, TOEFL iBT, PTE, Cambridge, and any score of any of these will be accepted. Remember that the score remains valid for only two years from the date of declaration of the result.
- Health Examinations: One of the most important requirements for visa renewal is a list of health examinations. If you have not done with health checks very recently, you should get those done in proper time. For suitable health examinations, you may use Health Declaration. For health assessment, you need a HAP or health assessment portal ID and referral letter with which you can go to a panel of doctors or a clinic. They can help you with the appropriate health examination you will need as an immigrant.
- OSHC: Australian government will want all their residents to have health insurance in the country. And this will include you, too. Students studying here will generally require an OSHC or overseas student health cover which will allow you to get easier access to medical benefits and lower your health costs. This will enable you to focus more on your studies. If your health insurance is about to expire, you should apply for its renewal.
- Financial Ability Requirements: Throughout your study, you will need enough financial support to continue your career haste-free. If you plan to study an extra year or so, you will need to show evidence of the Yearly Months Fund which will be required to show whether you will be able to cover tuition fees, accommodation-related expenses, health costs and return airfare. And in case of a short or long course application, you need to show annual income which may be borne by your sponsor in Australia, your parent, another relative, guardian, spouse, or you yourself.
Also Read: Guide About The Student Visa 500 Process
Australia can be a very good destination for study. You will need a student visa Adelaide for that. You may contact Migration Agent Adelaide. They will never leave you unanswered. They can connect you with the best migration agent who can properly guide you with the whole application process.